BulgariaView
language   language  

Sofia

Sofia

Category   Cities

The largest city in Bulgaria and capital of the country since 3th of April 1879. The city is located in the western part of Bulgaria, in the Sofia Volley, and is surrounded by three mountains - Vitosha, Balkan Mountain (Stara Planina) and Lyulin. Sofia is the main adminstrative, transport, bussiness, cultural and educationional hub of the country.

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
One of the symbols of Sofia and primary tourist attraction in the city. One of the largest Orthodox cathedrals in the world is located in the city centre in close proximity to the Bulgarian Parliament Building.

Ivan Vazov National Theatre
Ivan Vazov National Theatre
The oldest theatre in Bulgaria has its first performance on 3th of January 1907. In 1962 it is named after the prominent writer Ivan Vazov. There are three halls, where the biggest one has 780 places. The garden in front of the theatre is a lovely place for walking and relaxing.

 National palace of culture
National palace of culture
The largest multifunctional congress, conference, convention and exhibition centre in south-eastern Europe. It was opened in 1981 in celebration of the 1300th anniversary of of the Bulgarian state. It has 13 halls and more than 15,000 m² of exhibition area.

National Assembly Building
National Assembly Building
The building was built between 1884 and 1886. In 1896-1899 and 1925 two additional floors were built. Over the main entrance a sign is written, which is also written on the national coat of arms - direct translation into English could be "United we stand strong" or "Unity makes strength".

Complex Ancient Serdica
Complex Ancient Serdica
The ancient Roman complex from the 4th to 6th centuries, is located in the city centre. Among the main attractions of the complex are the main street of the old city and an early Christian basilica. The museum was officially opened on 20th of April 2016.

The Regional History Museum
The Regional History Museum
The building was built in 1908 when it was used as an urban bath. In 1998, it was declared an architectural, construction and artistic monument of culture of national importance. From 2015 it houses the Museum of History of Sofia.

Monument volunteer
Monument volunteer
The monument located in the garden behind the Military Club, near the Alexander Nevski cathedral, was opened on 24 August 2008. It is a bronze copy of the figure of the volunteer from the painting by Jaroslav Veshin The Samaritan Flag.

Photographer: BulgariaView, License: Creative Commons License